Parent & Student Agreement
By engaging with the consulting services provided by Cortex ("we" or "our"), you, as a parent/guardian or student, agree to the following policies and commitments:
- Homework Completion:
- Complete homework assignments at least 24 hours before each session.
- This helps ensure that the session will be as productive as possible, and that you get the most you can out of the periods in between sessions (which, in fact, is when most of the progress and growth occurs!)
- Cancellations / No-shows:
- Please do not cancel or reschedule sessions on short notice. Sessions cancelled or rescheduled within 24 hours are non-refundable, except in case of unexpected illness or emergency.
- No penalty is incurred if the consultant can reschedule conveniently or if you can meet over Skype at the original time.
- Please arrive at sessions on time.
- Sessions are scheduled to start and end at the agreed upon times, and if you arrive at your session or sign onto Skype late, the session will still end at the scheduled time.
- Be transparent about academics, extracurricular activities, and personal development.
- As your consultants, we can help you only if we have an accurate and complete picture of what's going on in your academics and, to the extent relevant, your life more generally.
No Guarantee of Specific Results; Responsibilities of Students and Parents
- As a consulting service, Cortex aims to provide insightful and beneficial guidance to students and parents, but does not guarantee that specific college admissions or other results will occur. For example:
- College Lists & Admissions - We will provide you with advice based on our research and experience, and will recommend colleges that we think are a good fit for each student. However, it is ultimately up to students and parents to decide which colleges to apply to, with the express understanding that admissions decisions at most colleges are made based on a combination of objective and subjective factors, and are never 100% predictable.
- Behavioral & Habit Changes - We will do our best to provide students with advice and guidance to help students develop habits for personal fulfillment and success. However, it is up to each student to act on our advice and do their assignments, and up to parents to enforce habits and behaviors in the home.
- We provide information to the best of our knowledge regarding deadlines and requirements for college applications and other applications and requests. However, it is each student's and parent's responsibility to independently confirm all deadlines and requirements for their college applications as well as other applications and official requests. This includes, but is not limited to:
- College applications - e.g., deadlines, essays, letters of recommendation, and other required and optional components of the application
- Course selections - e.g., deadlines, prerequisites, sign-offs by teachers and counselors, and required paperwork
- Standardized exams - e.g., registration deadlines, fees, and any applicable prerequisites
- Please click here to review our administrative policies. By registering with Cortex, you agree to these policies in effect as of the date of your registration.
What You Can Expect from Your Consultant
- Consultants will typically assign homework assignments during sessions, or within a few days after a session.
- Consultants may periodically check in on progress between sessions, normally via email.
- Consultants will generally reply to emails/texts from students within several business days.
- At a student's request, consultants will provide one round of essay feedback and revisions between sessions. In addition to reviewing essays, consultants can look over applications, projects, or any other materials, though the consultant's expertise in specific academic subjects is not guaranteed.